Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Guest Blogger: Steele

I hear on the news how in schools across the city, teachers are being cut and programs are being cut. I don’t really notice it at PS58 and won’t remember it that way because here we have had so many opportunities. And knowing that these things are being cut in schools all over the city I feel so grateful. I will remember 58 having these programs I grew up with. Many kids can’t say that. In the second grade I remember learning chess in our class room. In third and fourth grade I remember going into computer lab and learning about computers. We have ballroom dancing in the fourth and fifth grade. And now we have project lab, which most kids love, and we’re learning how to do all these neat skills that are not your everyday thing with learning. We’re doing animation, video. We have so many resources at ps 58.

And I’m not just trying to sell ps58 here, I’m telling you my experience and my classmates and friends experince, but the pros that we will remember.

And also I’ve always loved at PS58 when you sincerely love a subject, you can go beyond it in extended day lunch clubs, or afterschool.

I came here from a totally different environment, a different preschool in Manhattan, and when I came here I was scared at first. There were so many people. But this place became my home. I remember learning to read in Kindergarten. We had our ABCD book levels – I remember loving books in Kindergarten.

I remember 1st grade – walking in and seeing the book levels going all the way up to M and I was really excited because I was really ready to learn to read. PS58 encourages that so much. One of my greatest gifts from 58 was the memories of learning to read.

I love PS58, I’ll always remember how we get to hang out with so many kids all the time and socialize in recess, lunch, early morning, lunch club. Everyone in your grade is all these familiar faces. Many of them I’ve known since I’m this tall (gesture to my knee) and these memories will stay with me into middle school. I’m friends with so many different kids.58 has really encouraged diversity – I can hang out with kids who are excited about doing their homework and love school and others who struggle. It’s not like the classic school conflicts – like jocks and bullies throwing nerds in trash bin, there were no real bullies in my memory.

But as much as I love 58, we have to move on. Some kids maybe can’t to leave for middle, others might be going hysterical and others might not think either way, but 58 has made an impact on all of us that we will bring to middle school and beyond.

No comments: